Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How did I do on the Masters?

I am definitely getting old as I look forward to watching the Masters more than Christmas and this year's was a great one.  In one respect my instincts were good as my little syndicate owned the top three finishers in our annual Master's pool AND therefore took almost all of the pot.  Additionally, last week I cited three attributes that the Masters winner would most likely share with our Winner's Profile and three other predictors.  Here is how Charl Schwartzle and I did:

1.  Off Shore Holeouts - Charl had two of these for birdie and eagle on the front 9 of his final round.

2.  Scrambling, extraordinary saves - His Off Shore, chip in on the 1st hole for birdie qualifies - even par would have been a great save.  I am sure that he had others - see #3.

3.  Managing the downside - In round #2 Charl hit only 9 of 18 GIR's but made only two bogeys and finished with a well-managed 71.  For the event, Charl had only 7 bogeys and NO doubles or worse.  That is "Managing...."

I also said:  ...the winner this week at Augusta will almost surely:
  • Be a long hitter:  Charl's certainly long enough - 19th on the European Tour @ 297 yards.
  • Rank relatively high in GIR stats on his respective tourCharl ranks 59th on the European Tour @ 70%.  Again, good enough, especially considering it meets the ShotByShot.com 70% rule for Winners.  
  • Has already won on the PGA Tour or a Major:  I obviously missed this one but I will stand by it in the future, regardless.  Why?  He is only the third player in history to get his first win on the PGA Tour at Augusta.  I could only find two players on the Champion's list that have no history or mention on the PGA Tour:  Ralph Guldahl (1939) and Herman Keiser (1946) - a decidedly different era in golf. 
I give myself 5 out of 6, but I also admitted at the time that I was climbing out on a pretty safe limb. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment