Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Muirfield's Front 9 Must be EASY?

In four rounds, Steve Stricker was 24 strokes lower on the front 9 than he was on the back!  If the opening track is not much easier, perhaps he needs an energy bar or a beer at the turn?

A brief story about my tour around Muirfield Village
Actually, the 9's are not anywhere near that different.  I have walked, no ran them.  Years ago, I was asked to provide our unique ShotByShot.com analysis for the marquee group in the Wednesday, Pro Am prior to the Memorial.  The Group: Jack, the CEO of the named sponsor, and two prominent clients.  Realizing that it would be inappropriate to expect this group to learn our system and record data during what could be the most pressure-packed round of three of their golfing lives, I agreed to walk with the group and record the data myself.  What could be more fun -  walk 18 holes with Jack Nicklaus???  NOT EXACTLY, as the gods or the PGA Tour was not on my side - they would not allow me inside the ropes.  Believing that a commitment is a commitment, I agreed to accomplish my task from the OUTSIDE looking in.  It proved to be one of the most difficult feats I have ever undertaken.

During Saturday's telecast Ian Baker-Finch mentioned that the course featured water hazards on 13 holes.  I can confirm this because I jumped over or trudged through all 13.  Further, most meander along the entire hole, crossing the fairway multiple times.  A good friend, and member of Muirfield Village, refers to it affectionately as a 6 to 10 ball round for the average 15 handicap golfer.  I looked it up and the USGA's "Bogey rating" is 105.3.  That says that the average 18 handicap golfer is expected to shoot 33 strokes over par here.  Incidentally, the Course ratings for the front and back 9's are less than one stroke different:  Front 38.1 vs. Back 38.8. 
  
What else was remarkable?
Just before the Masters, I listed a few things that I have noticed that the Winners of PGA Tour events have in common.  One is Off Shore Holeouts - or that most winners will hole out from off the green once in their four rounds.  But Stricker's FOUR holeouts is outrageous!  OK, two were short game opportunities - not that uncommon.  The other two were special:  
  • 2nd Round, Par 3, 8th hole:  Ace from 185 yards.
  • 3rd Round, Par 4, 2nd hole:  116 yard approach shot - holed - Eagle.
I can't explain it but, like the two above, most of Steve's fireworks happened on the front 9 and, given these thunderbolts, NO WONDER HE WON!  

No comments:

Post a Comment