Thursday, August 26, 2010

Scholarship recipient makes good!

Meet Turner Southey-Gordon - A 17 year old, accomplished golfer from Ontario, Canada.

When the RCGA asked me to provide the tournament statistics for the Canadian Future Links, 17 and under Junior Championship this May, I jumped at the chance.  I knew it would be an ambitious, but worthwhile undertaking to capture the data, post-round for 99 top juniors.  After all, many of them would be playing in their most important event of their young lives.  I wrote about this in my June 2nd entry:  "Jr. Golf is Alive and Well in Canada." 

In order to help the participants become familiar with the program, we created an account for each player and gave them access a full month prior to the event.  Further, we encouraged them to use it as much as they wanted.  While I did not publish it, I decided to award the player that took the best advantage of the offer (entered the most rounds) with a lifetime scholarship to the program.

On site, and the day of the practice round, I made a brief presentation to the golfers and their parents on ShotByShot.com and what we expected them to record during their rounds or at least be thinking about in preparation for their post-round data entry.  At the end of my presentation, I asked if Mr. Southey-Gordon would please stop by to see me.  Up walked a shy young man obviously nervous as to why he had been singled out.  I informed Turner that the seven rounds that he had entered had won him the "scholarship" and he beamed with pride.  It proved particularly appropriate because Turner was not one of the 30+ players that were being provided the program through the RCGA or their local coach, at no cost.  For the next three days whenever I saw Turner I gave him a hearty greeting as "My Scholarship Player!" and he would give me a giant smile and blush.  Turner finished 18th out of the 72 boys in the event - not bad.

Fast forward to the recent Ontario Summer Games - Ontario's version of the Junior Championships - where I was fortunate to provide the tournament stats again.  Who should be in the field and greet me with his giant smile but my "Scholarship Player," Turner Southey-Gordon.  It was like seeing an old friend.

To make matters even better, Turner shot a terrific 68 in the first round and had a 4 shot lead.  I could not show my enthusiasm, nor could I go out on the course and watch the 2nd round - I had more than enough to keep me busy.  However, the OGA has set up a live leader board on a big screen TV not far from where we were set up for data entry.  It enabled me to keep an eye on his progress and pull for him in silence.

Not only did Turner record another 68 to win the event by seven shots, in his brief acceptance speech he thanked me and ShotByShot.com.  Congratulations Turner!  You are a very good player and a delightful young man.  I will be watching your progress both in the headlines and through ShotByShot.com.           

2 comments:

  1. Great story - no doubt Turner used your fantastic system to tune his game. Also, thanks for the insight you provide in the blog, I am an enthusiastic reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Logger! I'm lucky, I enjoy doing it.

    ReplyDelete